Welcome to Abroad Writers' Conference.
Our conference are led by some of the worlds most talented authors, poets and screenwriters. Stimulating talks, readings, Q&A's, writing workshops, private consultations and social gatherings all take place within a week. Abroad Writers' Conference promises you true networking opportunities and full detailed feedback on your writing.
Abroad Writers' Conference is a totally unique experience. We hold our events in magnificent settings, historic castles and villas. There we have intensive writing workshops held throughout the day followed by drinks and our nightly readings. Dinner is a grand event. Chef Alison Negrin former executive chef at Chez Panisse--listed as one of the Best Restaurants in the World--will prepare a 4 course dinner w/wine.
We believe in treating writers special and giving them an experience of a lifetime. June 21 - 28, 2014 LAKE COMO, ITALY
We are holding our conference at Villa La Gallietta at Lake Como, Villa La Gallietta was one of seven eighteenth-century villas built along the western shores of Lake Como, near the church of Saint George and Villa Olmo. Originally built by Pietro Antonio Fossani from Milan, who in 1772 bought the Villa Gallia and the surroundingn land. Gallietta means “little Gallia”, with relation to the larger building Villa Gallia. In 1830, the Villa was renovated by Melchiorre Nosetti. Nosetti adapted the facade to a neoclassical style.
Authors teaching workshops and giving readings at Lake Como are:
- RAE ARMANTROUT–Pulitzer Prize in Poetry
- NIKKY FINNEY–National Book Award in Poetry
- PAUL HARDING--Pulitzer Prize in Fiction
- EDWARD HUMES–Pulitzer Prize in Journalism
- JACQUELYN MITCHARD–Orange Prize finalist, Editor-in-chief Merrit Books
- ALEX SHOUMATOFF–Contributing editor Vanity Fair
- JANE SMILEY–Pulitzer Prize in Fiction
- SUSAN WHEELER–National Book Award finalist in Poetry Musicians
- BARRY GREEN–Principal Bassist for the Cincinnati Symphony
- MARINA PACOWSKI–Pianist and vocal coach at the Music Conservatory Maurice Ravel in Bayonne, France
- FICTION WORKSHOP–PAUL HARDING & JANE SMILEY
- MEMOIR WORKSHOP–EDWARD HUMES & ALEX SHOUMATOFF
- POETRY WORKSHOP–RAE ARMANTROUT, NIKKY FINNEY and SUSAN WHEELER
- POETRY W/MUSIC WORKSHOP –NIKKY FINNEY with Musicians: bass, BARRY GREEN–Cincinnati Symphony and Touring concert pianist/jazz singer MARINA PACOWSKI.
This will be five day workshop. Participants will be working with Nikky Finney for poetry, Marina Pacowski for voice coaching and Barry Green for combining poetry with music.
FULL MANUSCRIPT LINE EDIT & CRITIQUE — JACQUELYN MITCHARD. This is an intensive three full day workshop. Jacquelyn will do a full line edit and 5 page written critique prior to the workshop of everyone's full manuscripts, no limit on pages. Plus, all participant must read everyone's manuscripts; afterwards, each participant will receive a four hour critique of their work. Click for more info
A summit of International authors and writers at various stages of their Literary Career. Stimulating talks, interviews, readings, Q&A's, writing workshops from Award Winning Authors.
Group Size or S:T Ratio
Group 50, workshop 6-12
Autobiography/Memoir, Fiction, Journalism, Marketing, Mystery, Non-fiction, Poetry, Publishing, Travel, Young Adult
RAE ARMANTROUT--Pulitzer Prize Poetry,
ROBERT OLEN BUTLER - Pulitzer Prize Fiction,
CLAUDIA EMERSON- Pulitzer Prize Poetry,
NIKKY FINNEY--NBW Poetry,
PAUL HARDING--Pulitzer Prize Fiction,
TERRACE HAYES-NBW Poetry,
JANE SMILEY--Pulitzer Prize Fiction
Price begins at $1,390+ depends on accommodations and number of workshops.
San Francisco Bay Area, California
LAKE COMO, Italy
Abroad Writers' Conferences
17363 Sutter Creek Rd.
Sutter Creek, CA 95685